![]() |
| Dubsado vs. HoneyBook: Which CRM Is Better for Lead Management? |
I'll never forget the chaos of my first year freelancing.
Leads were coming in from my website, Instagram DMs, email, and referrals. I was tracking everything in a messy spreadsheet. I'd forget to follow up. I'd send proposals late. I lost at least three potential clients simply because I didn't respond fast enough.
That's when I knew I needed a CRM. I narrowed it down to Dubsado and HoneyBook. I tested both. I made mistakes. I learned what actually works for lead management.
Now I want to share my real experience with you. No fluff. Just honest feedback from someone who's been in the trenches.
What I Needed From a CRM (And What You Probably Need Too)
Before we dive into the comparison, let's be real about what matters for lead management.
I needed three things:
- Capture leads easily – Forms on my website that actually work.
- Respond quickly – Speed matters. The business that responds first gets booked 86% of the time [citation:1].
- Automate follow-ups – I can't manually email every lead. I need systems.
Both platforms do these things. But they do them very differently.
Lead Capture: Forms That Actually Convert
This is where the battle starts.
Dubsado's Lead Capture
Dubsado gives you customizable lead capture forms you can embed on your website [citation:1]. The forms support conditional logic, multiple question types, and automated follow-up triggers [citation:9].
I loved the flexibility. You can create forms that adapt based on client answers. If someone selects "wedding photography," they get different follow-up questions than someone selecting "corporate headshots."
But here's the catch: it takes time to set up. I spent hours building forms and mapping them to workflows. The learning curve is steep [citation:5].
HoneyBook's Lead Capture
HoneyBook also offers embeddable contact forms. They're clean, professional, and easy to set up [citation:1]. When someone submits a form, a new inquiry automatically appears in your pipeline.
What I really liked: the mobile app notifies you about "Priority Leads" – inquiries more likely to convert [citation:1]. This helped me respond faster to the hottest leads.
But HoneyBook's forms lack conditional logic [citation:5]. You can't create branching paths based on client answers. For my business, that was a limitation.
The Winner for Lead Capture
If you want deep customization and conditional forms, choose Dubsado [citation:9]. If you want speed, simplicity, and mobile alerts, choose HoneyBook [citation:1].
For a deeper dive on lead qualification, check out how to identify high-quality leads.
Responding to Leads: Speed Matters
I learned this the hard way. I once waited two days to respond to a lead. They had already booked someone else.
HoneyBook wins this category hands down.
The mobile app lets you respond to leads from your phone [citation:1]. You can send proposals, sign contracts, and collect payments on the go. There's even AI-generated email drafts to help you reply faster [citation:1].
Dubsado's mobile experience is weaker [citation:12]. The app exists, but it's not as full-featured. Most of the heavy lifting still happens on desktop.
If you're frequently away from your desk, HoneyBook is the better choice.
Follow-Ups: Automation That Actually Works
This is where Dubsado shines.
Dubsado's Workflow Automation
Dubsado's workflows (called "Flows") are powerful. You can set up conditional logic, branching paths, time delays, and multi-step sequences [citation:12].
For example: if a lead submits a form and selects "Package A," the workflow sends a specific proposal, waits three days, then sends a follow-up email. If they select "Package B," it sends a different proposal.
I built a workflow that completely automated my client onboarding. From lead submission to contract signing to invoice payment – all without me lifting a finger.
The downside? It took me two weeks to set up correctly [citation:12]. There's a steep learning curve.
HoneyBook's Automation
HoneyBook's automations are simpler. You build sequences of actions – send email, send proposal, send invoice – triggered by project status changes [citation:12].
For most solo creatives, this is enough. I had a working post-inquiry sequence built in a day.
But there's a ceiling. HoneyBook's automations are mostly linear. Conditional branching exists but is limited [citation:12]. You can't build complex "if-then-else" trees without workarounds.
Also, HoneyBook recently rebuilt their automation system (Automations 2.0). Some users reported regressions – features that worked before were removed or broken [citation:2].
The Winner for Automation
Dubsado wins for depth and flexibility. HoneyBook wins for ease of use and speed to launch [citation:12].
If you want to learn more about generating leads to feed into these automations, read 7 proven ways to generate leads for your small business.
Pricing: Which One Gives You More Value?
Here's where things get interesting.
HoneyBook raised prices significantly in February 2025. Starter went from $16 to $29/month (annual) – an 81% increase. Essentials went from $33 to $49/month – a 48% increase. Premium jumped 95% [citation:12].
Dubsado has kept its prices stable. Starter is $27.92/month (annual), Premier is $43.75/month [citation:12].
Here's the kicker: Dubsado includes three users for free on the Premier plan. HoneyBook charges per user or requires the Premium plan for teams [citation:2].
For a team of three, Dubsado costs $525/year. HoneyBook Premium costs $1,308/year. That's a $783 difference [citation:2].
If you're a solopreneur, the price gap is smaller. But if you have a team, Dubsado is significantly cheaper.
What About Payment Processing?
This was a pain point for me.
HoneyBook charges 2.9% + $0.25 per credit card transaction and 1.5% for ACH [citation:12]. There's no cap on ACH fees.
Dubsado integrates with Stripe, Square, and PayPal. ACH fees are capped at $5 per transaction [citation:2]. On $50,000 in annual ACH volume, you'd pay $50 with Dubsado versus $750 with HoneyBook [citation:2].
If you process large payments, Dubsado saves you money.
Real Mistakes I Made (And How to Avoid Them)
Mistake #1: Choosing Based on Price Alone
I initially went with the cheaper option without considering my actual needs. Big mistake. I ended up spending more time on workarounds than the price difference was worth.
Mistake #2: Not Testing the Mobile App
I travel frequently. I assumed both apps were similar. They're not. If you work on the go, test the mobile experience before committing.
Mistake #3: Underestimating Setup Time
Dubsado took me two weeks to fully set up. HoneyBook took two days. If you need to hit the ground running, HoneyBook is faster [citation:5].
Common Mistakes Others Make
Based on reviews and forums, here are mistakes other users report:
- Not using the free trial properly. Dubsado offers a 3-project free trial with no time limit. Use it to test real workflows before committing [citation:12].
- Ignoring international support. HoneyBook is US and Canada only. Dubsado works globally [citation:2]. If you have international clients, this matters.
- Overlooking data export. HoneyBook has no bulk data export [citation:2]. If you ever want to leave, extracting your data is manual. Dubsado is more flexible.
Helpful Tools and Resources
Here are some tools I used alongside my CRM:
- QuickBooks: For bookkeeping and invoicing. I use it to track payments from clients. If you need help, I offer QuickBooks monthly bookkeeping services.
- Calendly: For scheduling. Both platforms have scheduling features, but Calendly integrates well with both.
- Zapier: For connecting your CRM to other apps. Dubsado Premier includes Zapier integration [citation:12]. HoneyBook Essentials and above support it too.
You can also check out Excel and Power BI dashboards I create to help businesses track their lead data visually.
What's the Verdict?
Here's the honest answer: It depends on your business.
Choose Dubsado if:
- You need deep workflow automation with conditional logic
- You want full customization of forms and documents
- You have a team of 3 or fewer users (best price-to-value)
- You work with international clients
- You're willing to invest 1-2 weeks in setup [citation:12]
Choose HoneyBook if:
- You want to be up and running in 1-2 days [citation:5]
- You need a strong mobile app for managing leads on the go [citation:1]
- You prefer a polished, modern interface
- You're a solo creative with simple workflows
- You're in the US or Canada (HoneyBook is region-locked) [citation:2]
Both platforms are excellent. Neither is perfect. The best choice is the one that fits how your brain works and how your business operates.
For more insights on client management, check out what is lead generation and best lead generation tools in 2025.
Final Thoughts
I still remember the stress of managing leads with spreadsheets and sticky notes. Switching to a CRM was one of the best decisions I made for my business.
Between Dubsado and HoneyBook, I chose Dubsado because I needed deep automation and worked with international clients. My friend who's a wedding photographer chose HoneyBook because she needed speed and a great mobile app.
We were both right.
The best advice I can give: use the free trials. Both platforms offer them. Build a real workflow. Test the mobile experience. See which one feels right.
And if you need help managing your business finances once clients start rolling in, I offer QuickBooks bookkeeping services. You can also check out my other services like data enrichment and pipeline data annotation.
Your CRM decision matters. Take your time. Test thoroughly. Choose what works for you.
Other helpful resources:
- How Freelancers Can Build a Powerful Email List
- How to Create a Lead Magnet that Converts
- Using Facebook Groups for Client Outreach
- LinkedIn Lead Generation Tips for Freelancers
- How to Find Your First 5 High-Paying Freelance Clients
My Fiverr gigs:
- Create Excel dashboard, Power BI dashboard, data visualization and reports
- Data enrichment, job search and apply on your behalf
- Pipe and pipeline data annotation for engineering and AI projects
- QuickBooks monthly bookkeeping using QuickBooks, Xero, or Wave
My Fiverr profile: https://www.fiverr.com/hamzaawan141
Reference: HoneyBook comparison page on lead capture features.
Reference: Agiled.app detailed comparison of Dubsado vs HoneyBook (2026).
Reference: Bonsai comparison highlighting ease-of-use differences.
Reference: Taskip feature breakdown and lead capture comparison.
Reference: SwellSystem detailed comparison with pricing and feature analysis.

Comments
Post a Comment